The New Library is Open!
The new Punta Gorda Charlotte Library opened to the public on August 26, 2019
This new library is the result of years of work by the Friends of the Punta Gorda Library, now calling themselves the Friends of the Punta Gorda Charlotte Library.
The new library is:
- Located at 401 Shreve Street, Punta Gorda, FL.
- 20,000 square feet
- The City of Punta Gorda donated the land on which the new library is built
According to Charlotte County, the cost to build was:
- $7,801,000 from the voter-approved 1% sales tax
- $275,000 + from the City of Punta Gorda
- $202,000+ donated by the Friends of the Punta Gorda Library.
The Friends of the Punta Gorda Library requested that the name for the new library be The Punta Gorda Charlotte Library and the County Commissioners agreed to do this.
In addition, Friends requested that, to honor the late Mary Knowlton, the Teen Area would be dedicated to her. The Friends are having a bronze plaque made that will be mounted just outside the teen area explaining who Mary was and why this was important.
Due to the public support of the Friends and their used book store, the new library has a larger Friends Bookstore and office!